People are sometimes concerned that they will “lose control” in hypnosis. However, general consensus indicates that regardless of how deeply people may go in hypnosis and however passive they may appear to be, they actually remain in full control of the situation.
- MYTH: Hypnosis is of the occult or supernatural.
- FACT: Hypnosis is scientific. It is not supernatural nor of the occult, but a purely natural manifestation of the human mind. People enter hypnosis many times a day, awake or asleep, watching TV, driving, reading, listening to speakers or daydreaming.
- FALLACY: A person can be hypnotized against their will.
- FACT: For all practical purposes, a person must consent to hypnosis before they can be induced to enter that state. However, the spoken word does not always indicate the real desire. A skeptic, loudly denying the possibility of hypnosis might have an unspoken wish to experience it. Such a person could probably be hypnotized.
- MYTH: A Hypnotherapist, with some soothing words and soft music simply lulls his clients off to sleep.
- FACT: In the state of hypnosis the conscious mind is completely relaxed and rested but not asleep. Whereas in sleep the conscious mind is to some extent tense and alert.
- MYTH: Weak-willed persons make the best clients.
- FACT: The best clients are persons with a strong will and with intelligence above the average. Hypnosis actually has nothing to do with the will: it depends upon the imagination, a faculty which is vastly stronger than the will. Therefore bright, imaginative persons make, by far, the best clients because all hypnosis is self-hypnosis.
- FALLACY: Hypnotherapy requires a deep trance.
- FACT: Hypnosis has many therapeutic uses, but results do not depend upon the depth of trance. Some nervous disorders can be completely cured in the lightest trance while another client with the same complaint may receive little benefit except from the deepest hypnosis.
- FALLACY: Hypnotherapy, like psychoanalysis, requires many lengthy sessions.
- FACT: With many clients, complete relief can be obtained in a very short time. On some occasions, a couple of treatments is all that is required: most require several sessions.
For A Free Phone Consultation please call
or email info@VancouverCounsellingHypnotherapy.com